Friday, December 24, 2010

Real Food???

Well since I left you all at the edge of your seats wondering what crazy new diet I am on (the real food diet/lifestyle) I figured I better explain. There is much confusion about what I eat. When I say that I don't want to eat animals that were treated cruelly, I do not mean that I am a vegetarian. If you ever asked me what I eat I may have said vegetarian just because it is much easier to say that than to explain what I really am. That, and if I really got into it your eyes may glaze over in less than 30 seconds. But since you are here, trapped (cuz it's not like you could close this page at any time) I will explain. I feel called to eat foods that honor the earth, the animals, other people, and my own body. In short I want to honor all of God's creation. There are too many people groups that have survived from eating other animals, so I am not about to tell them they were wrong to consume another life. Also if memory serves, it was God who killed the first animal to provide clothing for Adam and Eve. While not ideal, consuming animals is one way we have been directed to for our survival. Finally I really and truly believe that life comes from life. Even vegans are indirectly taking life to prolong their own. When a field is cleared to grow soy beans, the wild animals inhabiting that field are sacrificed-gophers, mice, wild birds loose their homes and shelter. So that said, I am not delusional to think that my life continues without costing another's, and I find a position taken by some Native Americans to be more in unison with my own, which honors and thanks the life given to provide for my own.

You are probably thinking that I really haven't explained what I eat. You are right. So let's get to it. I try my best (I am flexible with my diet, trying to accommodate as different circumstances arise) to eat locally, and organic, or at least pesticide free vegetables, fruit, and herbs. I try to eat pastured (as in raised on a pasture, grazing in grass), or free-range (yes there is a difference, and if you really want to know what that is, ask in the comments and I will explain) meats, eggs, and dairy. It can be tricky finding foods that meet these criteria, but I have had the most success at farmer's markets. Also, remember that I am flexible, so I don't starve because I cannot find food that meet all the criteria. Now regarding dairy, I try to stay away from pasteurized (please do not confuse this with pastured-these are two very different things) because it leads to stuffy sinuses, and allergy attacks, or sinus infection (I try to avoid gluten-and sometimes citrus-for this same reason). I do however, eat raw dairy, and have found that it doesn't have as severe an affect on me. WooHoo!!! Cuz I have missed my quesadillas.

I just recently bought some raw milk and it was nice to drink milk like that, it has been a while. I plan on making some gluten-free cookies this weekend and having them with a glass of cold raw milk. Yum!!! Funny how excited I get over simple things like that, since I have had to go without those things for a long time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, indeed!

The REAL part of my diet is the idea that I try to eat as many whole foods as possible. No foods with scary expiration dates/preservatives, chemical dyes, high fructose corn syrup, or instant meals. The idea is that I would live a life style where I make most of my foods, like folks did in the preindustrial era. That is the REAL part of the Real Food diet. It is taking us back to our preindustrial revolution roots. I think the main words behind this movement would be simple, whole, balance, and quality. This is a lifestyle not simply a diet. It is one that seems to encompass all the elements that I value, and it leads me to a life that I am already striving for. A life of dignity, honor, balance, wholeness, truth, and love.

So I can eat pretty much anything, as long as it is organic, whole, pastured, preservative-free, natural, and locally grown. Luckily McDonald's and Taco Bell's menus are just that! *wink*

5 comments:

Katie K said...

You are an inspiration! I'm definitely not ready to jump head first into a Real Food lifestyle but, as you know, you've made me very curious. My goal is 80/20 (80% good, 20% not so good). Right now I'm probably a little more like 30/70. We'll see what changes the new year bring!

So many thoughts... said...

Hey the small changes you make are great steps in the right direction! I have been eating an inconvenient diet for almost three years now so it has definitely been a process for me-not something done over night, plus I am not sure if that quick of a change wouldn't put your body in shock or something! 30/70...you make me laugh!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Susanne, thanks for your comment on my blog. I do remember you. :)

I think that the Weston A. Price foundation is generally correct on most things. I've found myself more and more in alignment with their thinking the further I've come on this health journey. Where I tend to differ (at least right now) is on the "grains must be soaked or sprouted and not eaten often" idea. I'm also not sold on all the fermented foods that they advocate. Yogurt, yes...all the others...not so sure!

In general you and I seem to have come to much the same place (although I have no problem with gluten.) I like your explanation of eating in a way that honors life.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Have you tried Farm Fresh To You? I get almost all my produce from them. They're a locally based farming CSA, but you purchase weekly and you can change the kind of box you get whenever you want. I can't say enough good things about them. If you're a new customer, you can use code 6461 and my name to get $5 off your first order.

www.farmfreshtoyou.com

Another really great place to get bulk organic items is Azure Standard. They're based in Oregon, but they have truck routes through CA. You just need to find a drop point close to you.

www.azurestandard.com

Do you have any favorite tips or places to get things?

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I found this planting guide to be helpful: http://www.digitalseed.com/gardener/schedule/vegetable.html

Honestly the only things I've had good luck with so far (other than flowers) are tomatoes. I also keep a strawberry patch, which produces just enough to keep us wishing for more. :) Peas can be a fun colder weather crop. And so far I've utterly failed with carrots, squash, artichoke, broccoli, and green peppers. Oh well...I just keep trying!

I've never been to the Fullerton Farmer's Market, which is silly since I live so close to Fullerton! Where is it, exactly, and what time is it open?

Most of the other markets are just too far away for me to get to, since I also have to bring along three small children. :)

I agree with you on the raw milk being an expensive treat! We're just buying organic from the store for now, because we use a lot and really can't afford to pay for raw. Someday, maybe.

To make this simpler, you can email me at puznee[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll reply from my real address. :)