Friday, March 14, 2008

Meatless Meals: Update

I have been having fun experimenting with my dinners recently. I already had a vegan cook book, Student’s Go Vegan, which I acquired when I decided to go dairy-free almost a year ago. But I never fully explored the recipes, until now.




Displayed for your drooling pleasure, is a BBQ tempeh sandwich topped with fried red peppers and onions, and fresh parsley, a side of sautéed spinach, and a spring mix salad with strawberries, nuts, and carrots, topped with a soy based dressing from Trader Joe's. No dairy or meat were harmed in the making of this meal. :oP

Tempeh, and tofu are great sources of protein for vegetarians. You are probably familiar with tofu, and truth be told it isn’t my favorite, but I am learning new ways to cook it that aren’t bad (tofu scrambled eggs are quite yummy). But you may not have heard of tempeh. It is a grainy soy based patty. It takes on the flavoring of any seasoning or sauce. I used BBQ sauce to season the tempeh here, and it truly made a delicious BBQ sandwich. And you know I felt great about myself after that meal! I think I can do this. I like the challenge anyway.

2 comments:

Emily said...

that looks really good! Did jonathan like it?

Maria said...

Girl! That was an awesome meal. Thanks for sharing your good hippie food with me. I joke, I joke =). Hook me up with your veggies once you have some for a nice salad.