Monday, January 16, 2012

Turning Bloody 30

Tomorrow I turn 30. Let the "Old Lady" comments commence. Yes, it is true I am older. Maybe even old. My body certainly tells me the truth of that statement. I just don't recuperate from bumps and bruises as easily as I did when I was a kid. Colds seem to last longer, aches are more painful and lingering, muscles seems to jiggle when they were once firm.

But, you know, for all the ways that my body confirms I am getting older, there are other milestones too. In these 30 years I have finished high school, a Bachelor's Degree, a Master's Degree, I have worked my way up through a variety of jobs including stocking grocery shelves, acting in commercials, being the secretary to a vice president of the bank, substitute teacher, and finally teacher. But I think the career that I have had the longest, and one which looks like it will be a permanent part of my life, is that of a student. I have been a student for the majority of my life. Even now, after completing my Master's degree, I know in a year's time I will have to do it all again as I clear my credential, and then go on to get an Assistive Technology Certificate, and then ... well, you get the picture.

And I love it! I love learning and growing. I am challenging myself to change, to try to be better, to love more, love myself, to love the earth, to love people, and creatures. If you would have told me when I was in high school that I would one day be a teacher with granola tendencies I would have laughed in your face. And yet, here I am, and here is what I bought myself for my birthday:


and this


and this



Have you figured out what these are yet? When you do, your reaction might be something like "Why on earth would you buy this???" or "Susanne, seriously?!?! We need to have an intervention". But I was giddy every time a box was delivered and I opened them up to find these pretties. I think I was more excited about the cute packaging. Each company had a personalized-HAND WRITTEN-note. I love those kinds of details! New Moon Pads sent me a peppermint tea bag to help sooth my pain during that time. And Party In My Pants sent me a tiny dark chocolate because we all crave chocolate during that time too. It's the little things that bring a smile to my face.

So I bought cloth pads for my birthday from 3 different companies: Party In My Pants (or P.I.M.P.- so cute!), New Moon Pads, and Lotus Pads. I have been wanting to get some cloth pads for a while now, but things kept coming up and it just never happened. But I finally did it! Yippee!!! I decided to buy a few pads from three different companies to compare them before I take the plunge and buy a complete set. This is going to be a tough choice. I love them all. For different reasons. But more on that in a later post. For now, Happy Bloody Birthday to me!!!!

1 comment:

Janelle (: said...

Even with your flimsy muscles, you are still amazing! Happy Beautiful Birthday, my wonderfully made friend (: