Thursday, January 31, 2008

How do you express yourself creatively?

So a few weeks back Jonathan's friends were visiting from Alaska. Since they couldn't make it to our wedding, they wanted to take us out for dinner to celebrate. I was a wee bit nervous, because I always feel like such a kid around some of Jonathan's friends, like this couple. I know it's silly, they are only around five years older than I am, it really isn't that big of a difference as far as the numbers go, but it is more like they are older than in me in stages of life. See I just got married, they have been married for five plus years. They have two girls, I have have two plants. You see what I mean? There is a stage of life that they have entered that suddenly makes them more mature. Like when my little brother had a son, suddenly he was the sage elder imparting wisdom on my life. Maybe I am too synical, maybe in these life stages so much growth happens that you really do mature exponentially. I dunno. Still I can't help but feeling like a high school kid, happily reading comics, and researching new bands, and living with relatively few responsibilities, while people around my age are buying houses, having babies, or planning on having babies. I don't regret my life, I am happy with it, but I can't explain this sense of inferiority when I interact with these "adults". Ah, silly girl, you are just a slow blooming flower, and even when you do bloom, you will likely be a bright orange in a mostly lavender field.

Well on to the the dinner. The dinner was YUM! We went to a British Pub and I had a cornish pasty, with mashed potatoes, and steamed veggies. So good. And we were all so stuffed that we shared a sticky toffee pudding for dessert. Yes, I broke my dairy fast for this tempting dish. So worth it! We didn't want the night to end, so we went to a nearby jazz bar and had a few drinks, and chatted the night away.

It was during this time of conversation that the question posed in the title was asked of me. We had been discussing the musical career and endeavors of my husband, and then of his sister, both talented songwriters and musicians. I also have dabbled in music, and to this I believe the friends were hinting when they asked me, "So, Susanne, how do you express yourself creatively?" And I , in my most sincere tone, replied, "Oh, I crochet, and I craft." Their expressions quickly moved from interest to confusion. Noting their perplexed countenances, I realized, my reponse was unexpected, and dare I say it, even unbelievable. Crochet??? Can that really be considered a form of creative exression??? Admittedly it lacks the glamour that acting, dancing, or songwriting maintain, and it might even evoke images of granny sitting in a rocking chair watching day-time soaps, BUT that was my honest initial response.

After this flub, I tried to defend the craft, and show them how it is a valid art form. But that was going nowhere, so I cleared my throat and said, "And I write songs and sing too." And there it was, the response they wanted. And we then were able to have a short discussion about my creative endeavors, you know the legitimate ones.

Funny thing is , I really believe that crochet and music are wonderful creative outlets for me. I love them both. I enter seasons with each. There are seasons when, if I have any free time, I have my guitar in hand and I belt out songs that make me cry, much to my neighbor's dismay, I am sure. And there are seasons when I just can't stop crocheting, and I am adventurously trying new and more complicated patterns, adjusting them here and there so that they suit my fancy, and loving it! Both are true forms of creative expression, for me anyway. How about you? How do you express yourself creatively? I promise not to judge. *wink*

This is how I expressed myself creatively this week:






Not bad, huh?

3 comments:

Megan said...

That totally reminds me of a dinner conversation I had once. Another artist and I were talking. She mentioned something about sculpting in polymer clay for her senior project, and I perked up. At the time, I was mostly working on my little fairies, and I told her, "Oh, I sculpt too, I make little fairies and mermaids, and art dolls...."

The funniest look crossed her face and she said, "Oh. Well, I make *sculptures*." Hmm, okay. I guess what I did didn't fall under the category of "real" art. :p

I try and make everything my creative outlet. The older I get, the harder it is to "categorize" what kind of artist I am. And I'm okay with that.

Kenfield said...

Susanne, your creative crochet crafting is amazing- and I'm sure you know that means something comeing from someone who prefers two needles to one hook. =) I love that you push yourself to try new things. I'm sure you'll be making whole sweatsuits with your crochet hooks while I'm still stuck on scarves and beanies (but mostly scarves). Keep up the great work!

Oh, and by the way, the wooden hanger is perfect, very classy.

-Katie K:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog after I googled something for scrapbooks... I paint pottery and get the same look from people. As well as my husband's friends, I can totally relate! Although I have kids, I still feel like I'm in a totally different stage of life. And it's amazing to me that I'm able to feed my kids, I don't even own a plant for fear that I will starve it!

Good luck with crocheting, I'd be so lucky to be that talented! Cheers!